Sunday, July 15, 2012

Growing up. . .

As my summer comes to an end, my thoughts are turned to this up coming school semester. In more ways that you know, this next year of school will be filled of more changes in my life and education than I've ever had, possibly even more than moving to Shanghai, in my whole life.
One of the changes is I'm going into 9th grade and college is more than a child's dream. It's an up coming reality. For the first time in my life, I realize that just four years and I'll leave my family and go to a college to earn the degree that will influence the rest of my life. Every choice I make in the next four years will most likely influence my college years.This realization has weighed heavily on me for the past few weeks and millions of 'what if's' have disturbed my thoughts.
This week my parents are having me come up with a list of my classes and how I'm going to take those classes since I'm home schooled. In some ways, home schooled kids have more responsibility over the choices they make for their classes than public schooled kids.
In a public school environment, the kids are handed their classes and can choose from the available resources. Yes, they still have to choose to work hard at it and in high school, the thought of college credit is also something they have to take responsibility for but they don't have to conjure up the required classes, it's just there.
For me, there are so many resources, that it is VERY over-whelming. And something my prayers are going to be turned to all week, and possibly my whole high school years.
Another change is Seminary. I'm now old enough to participate in the LDS Seminary class which is every week day, except in Shanghai it's 4 days a week because of traveling late on Thursdays for Mutual. And if it could get any harder, it's early morning seminary for everyone.
So, with making sure I take the required classes for High School, I'm also doing the requirements to graduate Seminary which include memorizing and reading my scriptures daily.
My life can, and will, get more difficult.
Other changes are harder to explain, including my Dad's job (he isn't happy with it. :-/) and living in a foreign country where I don't speak the language. (and no, I'm not taking Chinese lessons, it's not for me.)
After all this, I'm now trying except the fact that I am no longer the child my Dad threw into the air and caught within his arms when he came home from work. I'm growing up and.... I'm not sure if I want to....

Us 6 kids in 2009.


Your Author, 
EmaBug

No comments: